About Me

My photo
I am a Senior at Union High school heading off Ecuador through the Rotary Youth Exchange Program. This will just be a digital documentation of my travels, Enjoy!

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

And That's a Wrap!

   And so my exchange comes to a close. Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "How did I get here and how did time go by so fast?" Of course there are times when I just sit there and watch the seconds tick by on the little green clock that sits beside my bed, but I suppose that's life! To tie up my 9 months of blogging, I wanted to kind of sum up my year now that it's over (well, I have 3 days left- so basically over) as well as show the pictures of the last week.

   This year was, by far, one of the most intense years of my life. While I successfully avoided the ever-dreaded "Senioritis" that all the Seniors go through in their final year of high school, I did get my fair share of homesickness, culture shock, sadness, anger, adventure, surprise, happiness, joy and fulfillment. To top it all off, I got a new set of experiences and friends, neither of which I will forget for the rest of my life.

   As much as I got out of this year, I know I could have experienced even more. Rules are made for a reason, and I have never been one to push them (mostly...), but sometimes I wish I did push them or at least ask more. There are so many places even just around my area that I would have loved to see, but for fear of being told "no" or out of sheer laziness, I didn't get out there and look. I had an excuse for everything here, "It's too hot", "It's too dangerous", "I'm tired" and I feel like I missed out a lot on my exchange. I sometimes feel like it wasn't worth it- but that's where I stop myself. I know for a fact that these last 9 months were worth it, even if I didn't get to do all the things I had come into the exchange wanting to do. I learned a language, made life long friends, and did something that not a lot of kids my age get to do. I have been to the Galapagos Islands, I have seen some of the most rare animals in the world, I have seen things that people wait their whole lives to see.

The closest thing to a goodbye/birthday party I got.
I love these sweet kids. The kids from Taiwan
made us typical food. 
Just my best friend, Maria and I being goofs on the roof! 
Exchange Students Santa Maria style!
(Left to Right: Vicky (Taiwan), Me, Deborah and Maria (Both from the US)
My class! They take a picture like this
daily! haha Silly Ecuadorians! 
   So now the year is over and I now go back to life in the United States, but it will be far from life as I knew it. I have changed and the people I knew have changed. While it will be challenging at first, I will slowly begin to reintegrate with those I was once close to, as well as make new friends! College begins in the Fall and even more new experiences are just right around the corner.

   Thank you to all who have helped me in my adventure abroad. Without the support I have received, I would not have made it through all those hard times. Thank you for keeping up with the hizhaps of my exchange, I really enjoy writing these blogs and I only hope you have enjoyed reading them just as much! I hope to continue informing you all about my life Post-Exchange as it will most likely be just as interesting as like on exchange, what with all the moving around and newness.


PS- I threw together an interactive map of all the places I have visited here in Ecuador. If you have a minute, check it out. (:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=213165373003073349500.0004c02e9d4b4ea8a0073

Lots of amor,
Marlee

No comments:

Post a Comment