About Me

My photo
I am a Senior at Union High school heading off Ecuador through the Rotary Youth Exchange Program. This will just be a digital documentation of my travels, Enjoy!

Thursday, January 19, 2012

More Cultural Woes

   Despite being here for 5 months (officially as of yesterday) I am still being exposed to cultural "shocks" that stop me in my tracks and allow me to further appreciate my experience here as well as appreciate the environment I was brought up in. During a recent Skype conversation with my mom it was brought to my attention how poor the Latin outlook is on women is. They have these gorgeous bodies, incredibly long hair, and flawless skin, yet they insist on breaking themselves down.
   What caught my attention was my mom telling me I was beautiful. It was something, that since being here, I had only heard boys saying to my "gringa" friends. Moms don't tell their daughters that they are beautiful; that they have things to offer other than their bodies; that they can be whatever they want to be; that they are independent. I don't mean to go on a feminist rant, but these girls are being hindered by their lack of self respect. Take my host sister for example. She is 13 years old and her idols are the Kardashian sisters. Each one of them has issues with their body image, problems with their family and with their husbands. It's safe to say that the Kardashians are some of the worst examples out there for our young girls. So here is my sister, not knowing the full extent of the damage that is being done when she watches the shows highlighting the Kardashian family. My sister is 13 years old and obsessed with her body, I know this not by assumption, but because she told me. To my sister, the only goal she has in life is to be skinny and marry a hot guy and as normal as that might be to a 13 year old girl, it worries me because I know this is not just a phase.
   What can I do to help? They look down on me here because of my weight, because I don't like to get dressed up  and wear high heels. While their perception of me has been a challenge, I have never let it get me down, for I know where I stand with myself and if another person has opinions about me, my body or my personality, let them have it. I just really wish there was something I could do to show these girls that there really is more to life than the Kardashians, outer beauty and high heels (or as they call them here, "Tacos"). Intelligence, modesty and self respect are characteristics that  should define a person, should someone be defined in the first place.
   I do not yet know what I have been put here for, but if the only thing the Ecuadorians learn from me is how to love themselves, then so be it. But I'm determined to show them just how amazing they are. They all, boys and girls, have so much to offer, if only they would put their abilities first instead of their hormones and (God help us) the Kardashians. 

Okay, that is the end of my rant. Thanks my loves.
In other news, I move within the next couple days and I couldn't be more excited! I'm out of school now until April and I can finally enjoy what Ecuador has to offer! Hope you are enjoying your chilly winter up North!

No comments:

Post a Comment