About Me

My photo
I am a Senior at Union High school heading off Ecuador through the Rotary Youth Exchange Program. This will just be a digital documentation of my travels, Enjoy!

Monday, August 15, 2011

Getting Ready! Three days and counting...

   Preceding, during, and following my exchange in Ecuador, I hope to keep this blog as means of my digital documentation of my trip. This is not be the only means of documentation, but it will certainly be the easiest way to share little tid-bits of what is going on.
   Three days out and I am more ready than ever. Over the last six months I have been anticipating my depature to Ecuador and now it is finally here (well, almost). I have been mentally and emotionally preparing myself for this trip for a good six months now, but nothing can really prepare me for what is to come. My belongings are packed, my bank account is drained and I am ready.
   For those of you who do not know, I will be heading to Machala, Ecuador, which is the leading city in Banana production. If you look at the map to the left, Machala is on the Southern Coast of Ecuador, down near Peru. I am already in contact with my family there and they seem very nice! I have two sisters (18 and 13), however the older sister will be on exchange while I'm in her house!
While I have been having some anxiety about meeting my family and fitting in with my peers, I am reassured by the emails I have received from my host dad and my sister. I will attend a small,Catholic high school in the city and it is my hope to become involved in the local clubs and possibly even sports while attending school. Since I am on the coast, the school schedule is different than in the States. School is in session from April until January, with a few months in between for Summer Break. I have not heard about classes, but I am curiously excited to get involved in another culture's curriculum.
   I look forward to keeping you all updated! Until next time,

Marlee

1 comment:

  1. Im so excited Marlee! this is a great idea! i will be reading it often! ;) Love you Marmar, ill miss you like crazy!!!

    ReplyDelete